Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans
* Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans of the Republic of South Africa since 11 May 2009.
* Elected to the ANC'S Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) in Mpumalanga Province (2002).
* Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC) in Mpumalanga Province since 2005.
* Matriculated from Mmabathoana High School in Maseru, Lesotho in 1977.
* Diploma in Public and Policy Development Administration (PPDA) from Wits Graduate School.
* Diploma in Social Science from Academy of Social Sciences in Sofia, Bulgaria.
* Member of the South African Student's Movement (SASM) Polokwane (1974).
* Went into exile (1976).
* Joined Umkhonto We Sizwe (MK) (1976).
* Lived in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho and Zambia.
* ANC Umkhonto weSizwe underground functionary (1979 - 1990).
* Treasurer of the South African Communist Party (SACP)
Botswana Region (1986 - 1988).
* Returned to South Africa after unbanning of political Organisations (1990).
* Executive member of the ANC Gender Commission (1992).
* Member of the ANC Youth League (ANCYL), National Executive Committee and National Working Committee (NWC) (1990 - 1994).
* Member of the Portfolio Committee on Sport and Recreation (1994 - 1996).
* Member of the Portfolio Committee on Tourism and Environment (1994 - 1996).
* Member of Parliament (1994 - 2001).
* Chairperson of the ANC Caucus (1996 - 2001).
* Member of the Joint Standing Committee on Defence (1994 - 2001).
* Member of the Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (1998 - 2001).
* Member of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts (2000 - 2001).
* Member of Finance Committee (2000 - 2001).
* Member of the Ministerial Task Group on Civic Education in the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
* MEC for Safety and Security (2001 - 2004).
* Former member of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC).
* Premier of Mpumalanga Province (21 April 2004 - 10 May 2009).
* Member of the Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature (2001 - 10 May 2009).
Source: Office the Premier