Minister of Transport
* Premier of KwaZulu-Natal Province since 22 April 2004.
* Serves in the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) since 1997.
* Primary school at Makhaseneni near Melmoth.
* Secondary school at Entembeni Secondary School and matriculated from Eshowe Teachers' Training and High School (1968).
* Studied Library Science at the University of Zululand (1970 - 1972).
* Bachelor of Arts degree in International Politics and African Politics from University of South Africa (1982 - 1983)
* Bachelor of Arts honours degree with distinction in Development Administration and Politics (1985)
* Chairperson of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal Province (1998 - 2008).
* Deputy Chairperson in KwaZulu-Natal (1996 - 1998).
* Member of the KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Executive Committee and the Provincial Working Committee of the ANC (1994 - 2008).
* Was actively involved in the University Christian Movement and later with the South African Students Organisation (SASO).
* Worked at the archives at a Lutheran Church Centre at Maphumulo.
* Appointed Publicity Secretary of SASO for the University of Zululand (1972).
* Worked as an Assistant Librarian at the University of the North (1973 - 1974).
* Joined the African National Congress (ANC) under ground and went into exile in Swaziland (1974 - 1976).
* Worked as Assistant Librarian at University of Swaziland, (1974 - 1976).
* Was arrested for ANC activities in May 1976 and was sentenced to ten years on Robben Island in June 1977.
* Research fellow at University of Natal's Department of Town and Regional Planning.
* Regional Secretary of the ANC for Southern Natal (1990 - 1996).
* Director (Office of Residence Administration) - University of the Durban - Westville (1991 - 1994).
* Member of the National Executive Committee of the ANC (1997).
* Served in the Education Development Trust along with Dr IF Matsepe-Casaburri (1980 - 1994).
* MEC for Transport for the united province of KwaZulu-Natal (1994).
* Founder and Chairperson of the African Renaissance Trust based in KwaZulu-Natal.
* Played a key role in peace iniatiative in Kwazulu-Natal since 1987.
* An award by COMTO for continous support of African Renaissance at the Transportation African-Renaissance Transportation (2000).
* Honorary Doctorate from the University of Zululand in 2005.
Source: Office of the Premier