Minister of Science and Technology
* Minister of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa since 11 May 2009.
* Member of the National Executive Committee of the African National Congress (ANC).
* Member of Parliament since 1994.
* Matriculated from Gaborone Secondary School in Botswana (1972).
* Bachelor of Arts degree and CCE from University of Lesoto, Botswana and Swaziland (1973 - 1977).
* Diploma in Education from the University of London (1977 - 1978).
* Masters degree in Education from University of London (1978 - 1979).
* Diploma in Higher Education, Administration and Leadership from Bryn Mawr Summer Programme (HERS) (1992).
* Diploma in Leadership in Development, Kennedy School of Government, University of Havard (1997).
* Masters degree in General Linguistics from University of Stellenbosch (1997).
* Minister of Education of the Republic of South Africa (29 April 2004 - 10 May 2009).
* Member of the Council of thr University of Fort Hare (2002 - 2004).
* Chancellor of Cape Technikon (2002 - 2004).
* Member of the ANC NEC and member of sub-committees on Education, Communications, Archives and Political Education (2000).
* Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) (1999 - 2004).
* Deputy Chairperson of the NCOP (1998 - 1999).
* ANC Deputy Chief Whip in the National Assembly (1995 - 1998).
* Chair of the Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA)(1995 - 1997).
* ANC Whip in the Naional Assembly (1994 - 1995).
* Served on the Portfolio Committee on Education; convener of a sub-committee on higher education (1994).
* Deputy Chair of Joint Education Trust Board of Trustees (1993 - 2001).
* Deputy Chair of TEFSA (1992 - 1995).
* Chair of the Western Cape School Building Trust (1992 - 1998).
* Executive Chair of the Desmond Tutu Education Trust (1992 - 1994).
* ANC Chair for Athlone Central branch (1992 - 1994).
* Member of ANC Western Cape Education Committee (1991 - 1995).
* Chair of Western Cape NEC of the National Education Coordination Committee (NECC) (1991 - 1993).
* Senior Lecturer in the Academic Support Programme at the University of Cape Town (1989 - 1994).
* Chair of the Union of Democratic Staff Associations at the University of Bophuthatswana, Mafikeng (1988 - 1990).
* Senior Lecturer in English at the University of Bophuthatswana (1986 - 1989).
* Senior Lecturer in Teacher Education at the Taung College of Education (1984 - 1986).
* School teacher in Gaberone, Botswana (1981 - 1984).
* School teacher in Ernest Bevin School, London (1980).
Source: Ministry of Education