Deputy Minister of Science and Technology
* Deputy Minister of Science and Technology of the Republic of South Africa since 29 April 2004.
* Member of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) since 1994.
* Attended German primary school in Cape Town.
* Matriculated from Jan van Riebeeck Secondary school in Cape Town (1970).
* Enrolled for B.Com degree.
* Non-degree purposes studies in economics, land and agricultural policy.
* Various jobs abroad (1972-1974).
* Various jobs in South Africa (1975-1977).
* Fulltime commercial farmer (1978 - 1983).
* Served prison sentence in Pretoria for political activities (1983 - 1986).
* Co-ordinator of the Administrative Training Project in Johannesburg, an NGO providing support to trade Unions and church organisations (1986 - 1987).
* Exiled in Zimbabwe and served as a co-ordinator of the Popular History Trust in Harare, Zimbabwe (1988 - 1990).
* Co-ordinator of ANC Land and Agriculture Desk, responsible for policy development and acting as spokeperson for the ANC on Agricultural matters (1990 - 1994).
* Minister of Agriculture and Land Affairs (1994 - 1999).
* Member of Parliament (1999 - 2004).
Source: Deputy Ministry of Science and Technology