Minister of Mining
* Deputy Minister of Mining of the Republic of South Africa since May 2009.
* Member of the African National Congress (ANC) National Working Committee since December 2007.
* Member of National Executive Council (NEC) of African National Congress (ANC).
* Attended Madibane High School in Soweto (1977).
* Became involved in political career since 1980.
* Assistant Secretary, Federation of South African Women (FEDSAW), Federation of Transvaal (1980).
* Active member of the Anti-Republic Campaign Committee (1981).
* Involved in the formation of the Release Mandela Campaign Committee (1982).
* Organiser/Administrator for the Amalgamated Black Worker's Project (1984 - 1985).
* Representative of the Transport and General Worker's Union (T and GWU) at the Industrial Council.
* National Women's Co-ordinator for the Transport and General Workers Union (T and GWU).
* Member of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) National Women's Sub-Committee working with women's issues and representing the T and GWU on National level.
* Involved in the voter education programme (COSATU National Election Task Team) aimed at workers during the election campaign.
* Served in the ANC National Election Steering Committee.
* Elected at a COSATU Special Congress as a regional candidate to the National Assembly (1994).
* Advisor to the September Commission assigned to look at future of the unions during transitional stage and later Member of Parliament.
* Has actively participated in committees such as Labour, Transport and Trade and Industry since 1994.
* Served in the ANC East Rand PCO Management Committee (1995 - 1996).
* Deputy Minister of Minerals and Energy of the Republic of South Afrrica (April 1996 - April 2004).
* Vice-Chairperson of the National Labour and Development Institute.
* National Treasurer of SANCO
* Deputy Minister for Safety and Security of the Republic of South Africa from April 2004 - 10 May 2009..
Source: Deputy Ministry for Safety and Security