South African Deputy Minister in the Presidency for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation
South Africa Government
Working primarily in:
Description of Work:
- Part of the 1976 uprising student activists.
- Member of the African National Congress (ANC) underground structures since 1979.
- Member of the Congress of South African Student (COSAS) in early 1980s.
- Founding member of Alexandra Youth Congress in 1983 later became its Deputy President.
- Founding member of United Democratic Front (UDF) in 1983.
- Member of the Civic movement later known as South African National Civic Organisation - SANCO (1985 - 1986).
- Deputy Secretary of ANC Johannesburg branch.
- Regional Secretary of the ANC PWV (1991 - 1994).
- Deputy Secretary of ANC Gauteng province (1994 - 2000).
- Served as Ex-Official in the National Executive Committee of the ANC.
- Detained several times and appeared in two political trials in Port Elizabeth and Alexandra (1986, and 1987 -1990).
- Member of Joint Rules Committee.
- Member of National Assembly Committee.
- Member of Joint Programming Committee.
- Member of National Assembly Programming Committee.
- Chairperson of the inter Parliamentary Group on International Relations.
- Member of Portfolio Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade and Industry
- Facilitator/Chairperson of South Africa- European Union Inter Parliamentry Meetings.
- Member of Gauteng Provincial Legislature (1994 -1999).
- Served on Gauteng Portfolio Committee on Safety and Security.
- Former House Chairperson of National Assembly.
- Deputy Minister of Communications of the Republic of South Africa, (1 November 2010 - 24 October 2011).
Source: SA - GCIS
(At a Glance)
Place of Origin: South Africa
Kopeng Obed Bapela is the Deputy Minister in the Presidency for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation. He has previously served as South Africa's Deputy Minister of Communications. He is a former Parliamentary House Chairperson.
- Diploma in Journalism.
- Certificate in Community and Organisational Development.
- Certificate in Safety and Security.
- Certificate in Policy Development with specialisation in international relations.
- Currently studying towards Advanced Diploma in Development Economics at University of South Africa
Souce: SA - Who is who & SA - GCIS