Former Minister of Sport and Recreation. Was fired on 31 October and replaced by Fikile Mbalula.
* Former Minister of Sport and Recreation of the Republic of South Africa since 29 April 2004. Was fired on 31 October and replaced by Fikile Mbalula.
* Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC) in the Eastern Cape since 1996.
* Member of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the ANC since 1990.
* Matriculated from Newell High School in Port Elizabeth.
* Bachelor of Arts degree from University of Fort Hare (1971).
* Bachelor of Theology degree from University of Fort Hare (1974).
* Bachelor of Theology honours degree from University of Fort Hare (1975).
* Masters degree in Theology from University of Fort Hare (1979).
* Postgraduate Diploma in Technology from Tubingen in Germany (1981).
* Masters of Arts degree from Princeton University in United States of America (1983).
* Awarded D.Phil (hc) by University of Port Elizabeth (2000).
* Machine Operator at Textile factory in Port Elizabeth (1965 - 1968).
* Part time Tutor with African Independent Churches Association Seminary (1971- 1972).
* Senior lecturer in Theology and Philosophy of Religion at University of Fort Hare (1973 - 1986).
* Minister of the Presbyterian Church of South Africa since 1975.
* Led successful protests and prevented a planned tour by New Zealand's All Blacks in 1984.
* He was convicted under the then Ciskeian Internal Security Act and subsequently sentenced to 11 years imprisonment (1987).
* Senior lecturer in Theology and Acting Head of the department at University of Trankei (1991).
* Regional Secretary and member of the National Executive Committee of UDF (1983 - 1986).
* Sports Administrator specialising in rugby, cricket and netball administration (1965 - 1994).
* Coach of rugby specialising in junior and club rugby (1974 - 1994).
* Member of various boards and Councils of(NGOs), Technikons and Universities since 1991.
* Regional Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC) (1990 - 1991).
* Chairperson: Area Political Committee (Military Combat Work of the ANC) (1979 - 1986)
* Member of the ANC internal Leadership core (1990 - 1991).
* Member of the Governing Council of the University of Fort Hare since 1991.
* Director of Public Relations and Development of the University of Fort Hare (1992 - 1994).
* Member of Parliament (1994 - 1996).
* Treasurer General of the ANC ( 1995 - 1997).
* Premier of the Eastern Cape (1997 - 2004).
* Provincial National sports Administrator (1969 - 1994).
Source: Ministry of Sport and Recreation.