Deputy Minister of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs
* Deputy Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs since 11 May 2009.
* International Diploma in Journalism from Darlington College of Technology in England.
* Bachelor of Arts Honours and Masters in Sociology from the University of Warwick in England.
* Organiser of Anti-Apartheid Republic Day Festival demonstrations at school (1971).
* Chairperson of NationalYouth Action in Pietermaritzburg (1972 to 1973).
* Detained withount trial for organising demonstrations against Soweto Massacre at University of Durban-Westville (August to December 1976) .
* Member of the Executive Committee of Natal Indian Congress.
* Member of the Executive Council of the United Democratic Front in Pietermaritzburg (UDF).
* Secretary of the Pietermaritzburg Combined Ratepayers and Residents Association (1986 to 1990).
* Senior Lecturer in Sociology from the University of Natal.
* Member of the Branch and Regional structures of the African National Congress (ANC).
* Member of the Branch Central Committee and Politburo of the South Afruican Communist Party (SACP).
Positions in Parliament
* Chairperson of the Membership of Legislatures Adhoc Committee (1997).
* Chairperson of the Provincial and Local Government Portfolio Committee (March 1998 to June 2004).
* Chaiperson of the Public Enterprises Portfolio Committee since June 2004.
* Member of the Reconstruction and Development Committee in Parliament.